Tuesday, June 27, 2017

It's Bumpin'

If I'm perfectly honest, one of the things I was most concerned about after I got pregnant (after the baby's health of course!) was how I'd live without my wardrobe for months on end. After all, I've put serious effort into assembling an A-Team of brightly printed, cheery, full-skirted dresses and skirts.

Venus Flytrap petite Jenny skirt
I've got high hopes of making it to month seven without buying more than three maternity dresses, because it's really hard to find fun prints. I knew I'd be able to count on some of my favorite wiggle dresses to help me through that awkward stage where none of my dresses with a tight-fitting bodice fit. And indeed, I've been showing off my baby bump in all my comfiest wiggles for about a month now. What's really surprised me, though, is how much I've found myself reaching for separates.

Usually I'm a dress sort of gal, except in the dead of summer when I don't want to get my dry-clean-only dresses all sweaty the second I step outside. But I've been pleasantly surprised to discover that skirts and stretchy cotton shirts make for the perfect maternity wear.

What's my secret, you ask? Well, it's really very simple. To turn a skirt-and-top combo into maternity-wear heaven, just make like Urkel and hike that waistband to the sky!

See?
Flytrap petite Jenny and splendette bangles
pregnant pinup style

Bonus: my baby is like a built-in petticoat! The bump doesn't give me volume on the sides like an actual petticoat would, but I'm certainly getting some extra poof in the front. This is especially useful since it's a little too hot now to wear petticoats, unless I know I'm not going to walk more than about 25 paces outside.

Ok, I'm 50% kidding about using my baby as a petticoat stand-in, but my larger point still stands: high-waisted, vintage-style swing skirts are a great way to accommodate a growing belly without dropping a ton of $$ on clothes you won't wear again after the baby. I'll keep you posted on how long this pregnant-pinup lifehack works for me!

pinup girl pregnancy style

To all the mamas in the audience: how did you dress while you were pregnant? Did you buy a bunch of maternity stuff, or did you find ways to make your existing wardrobe do double duty? Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated!

Follow this blog on:
Instagram@emily.hallock

38 comments:

  1. I felt your same worry! Every pregnancy is different, but I was able to wear the same size throughout all 9 months and only bought one pair of maternity jeans (that I wore once, because jeans are horrible).

    I really liked wearing Jenny dresses, Trixie dresses, Scrumptious and Luscious dresses, and the crisscross pinup tops. It was extremely hot last summer when I was preggo, so I avoided heavy fabrics as much as possible. Anything with a high waist is your friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeans really are the worst! I actually bought a pair of maternity jeans as well, and haven't even worn them yet. I might pop the tags and wear them to work, because my office is an icebox!

      Trixies are a GODSEND so far, and I wish I had more than just the one Scrumptious dress I have! And high-waisted dresses are all I can fit into these days. My doctor said it's because my torso (like the rest of me) is short, lol.

      Delete
  2. Love it and I love how our style definitely caters to bellies more than modern styles - even the food baby bellies!! WOOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YES! I have specific eating-friendly dresses, and that high-waisted style is the absolute best for a day of gluttony!

      Delete
  3. I still borderline can't even tell you're pregnant until you go sideways and hold the bump! Again, I'm impressed with your wardrobes versatility! You look amazing! Have you considered shift dresses for the later months? They're so in right now and come in so many colors and prints. Not sure if you're a shift girl though...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) High-waisted skirts are magical! I didn't even tell anyone at work until I hit 20 weeks, and because of my wardrobe, no one could tell until I started wearing wiggles again. I'll have to see if there are any cute maternity shifts out there! My Sharon dress is getting a little tight...

      Delete
  4. You look absolutely gorgeous and I love your styling with prints! The skirt is so cute x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm all about the print-mixing :).

      Delete
  5. This is such a cute post and congrats btw! You look amazing and great initiative!

    Jessica & James | foodandbaker.co.uk / foodandbakertravels.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just can't give up my wild prints!

      Delete
  6. I guess every pregnancy is different but it's good to have everybody's perspective. Such a cute post! and such a n ice outfit! so colorful! xx corinne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've heard! So far I've had a pretty easy time of it, and thankfully a lot of my wardrobe can make the transition with me.

      Delete
  7. Lovely outfit and very colourful. Wish you and the baby all my best and congratulations! You look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just adore bright colors :D. Thank you so much for the kind wishes, too!

      Delete
  8. I really wish I would've read this when I was pregnant! I love prints at the moment and you look amazing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Prints are just so fun and cheery, aren't they?

      Delete
  9. I bet your wardrobe looks like a rainbow! The skirt completely covers your bump, I wouldn't have guessed you're pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's basically a color explosion inside my closets ;). And I love having camouflage for the bump -- it's getting too big to hide, but for now it's fun!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! You look amazing. I love the skirt! ✨

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful skirt, it looks lovely on you!

    Kirsty | The Monday Project | themondayproject.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kirsty! It's really a fun skirt and it has pockets!

      Delete
  12. You look absolutely stunning and so fab!! I love the unique prints!

    Alura x
    Aluradupuis.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I live for exciting prints -- they just make getting dressed so much more fun!

      Delete
  13. Awh wow! You look absolutely gorgeous! I hadn't even considered what I'd be like whilst pregnant, I love my wardrobe so much! xo

    Hanney | www.blogabouthanney.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Thank you, Hanney! And I can totally relate -- it's gotten impossible to wear some of my favorite dresses and sometimes I look at them and just sort of sigh.

      Delete
  14. You look amazing! I love that skirt!! Definitely need to add more skirts to my wardrobe now! Nikki x
    www.petalpostblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Skirts are just so breezy and fun, especially when they have pockets!

      Delete
  15. Great post!I love your style and the colours. Congratulations!

    Shee Wears Colour :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Bright colors are totally where it's at.

      Delete
  16. You're so gorgeous! Big congrats to you and the baby, I'm so in love with this skirt. I love the print. x
    Monica @ www.thewongblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you so much, Monica! Baby girl has no idea how many matching outfits I'm going to force her to wear ;).

      Delete
  17. I've always wondered how your wardrobe would change once I read that you were pregnant - I love how bright and colourful your outfits were, and I'm glad you've found an easy solution!

    Lizzie Bee // hello lizzie bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzie! I'm hoping this works for a while longer, since I really, really don't want to just wear boring solid maternity clothes!

      Delete
  18. This is a great post and you look beautiful in all of the pictures!! I love how bright and out there your outfits are your deffo so confident to wear those whilst pregnant! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I don't embarrass easily, so I've got no problem wearing the loudest prints as I grow to the approximate size of a small house, lol.

      Delete
  19. I love this dress!!!! It suits you so well xx
    www.kateejessicay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete