Saturday, July 22, 2017

Review: House of Foxy

While the 1950s will always have my heart, sometimes I just can't resist the siren song of a 1940s silhouette. Case in point: this lovely red floral tea dress from the House of Foxy. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it, and had almost worked myself up to paying for international delivery when I discovered it on Unique Vintage's site during a sitewide sale!

Compared to some of my other favorite retro-reproduction brands, House of Foxy falls closer to the authentic-vintage side of the spectrum than the pinup-bombshell end. Their designs are so beautiful and perfect for those times that you want to feel really sophisticated. (I have those moments, believe it or not!) And although I hardly ever feel a pull to 1930s fashion, in browsing their site just now, I added two '30s frocks to my mental wishlist.

This dress is made out of a lovely, era-appropriate, substantial rayon that drapes nicely and somehow doesn't wrinkle much even after a day at the office. In these photos, I'm about twenty weeks pregnant, and you can barely even tell there's a baby bump until I turn and hold my belly! I was able to squeeze into this dress until about 24 weeks, when the baby really made her presence known in the region that used to contain a waistline.

House of Foxy Tea Dress review

Much as I'm a '50s devotee, I must admit that this 1940s style is perfect for Chicago. The skirt stays put on windy days much more than my full 1950s numbers do, and the neckline is work-appropriate all on its own. And since I'm a fool for bright florals and red, I'm definitely a fan of the print.

House of Foxy red floral Tea Dress review

As for sizing, when I ordered it I was between a UK12 and 14, so I opted to size up and give myself some breathing room. This was definitely the right call: this dress is bang on the size chart, measuring 20" from armpit to armpit and 16" at the waist, making it ideal for my 39" pre-pregnancy bust as well as the first five months of my pregnancy.

I'm quite happy with this dress, and while it's now too tight on my baby belly, I'm eagerly looking forward to wearing it again after the baby arrives. I think it'll look pretty in the colder weather with a mustard cardigan and ivory tights, or perhaps even with my faux-fur vintage cape for a fancy evening out.

House of Foxy unique vintage Tea Dress review

I hope you've enjoyed this long-overdue review of my first House of Foxy frock! Even though I'm a baby about paying for international delivery, this absolutely won't be my last. While this particular dress is only available in very limited sizes, the print is available with free UK delivery in a pretty 1930s style as well as another 1940s dress. Which one is your favorite version of this print? 

Follow this blog on:
Instagram@emily.hallock

26 comments:

  1. LOVE the colors in this dress! It looks amazing on you. That's awesome that you found it on UV! I would hate to pay for international shipping too, ugh. From these pictures, if I didn't know better, I'd have no idea you are pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much -- I trust your opinion about colors more than most! And I wish UV would get more House of Foxy in stock. I sort of hate waiting for their shipping, but it's worth it to not pay for international delivery. And my baby bump is getting bigger by the day...

      Delete
  2. Wow, you look amazing! The silhouette is perfect for you and I just adore that print. I'm glad that they were able to ship internationally (and that you were okay with it) because it looks like it was worth it.

    Lizzie Bee // Hello Lizzie Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! I'm such a huge fan of the print and after wearing this on a very windy day, I might be a convert to the 1940s style. I didn't flash half of Chicago like I would've in a 1950s skirt!

      Delete
  3. This dress really suits you! It's a pity you can't wear it now with your bump! I agree the neckline is totally work appropriate and the bold colours make it look so cheery!
    PaleGirlRambling xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm just waiting till I can pull it out of the back of my closet again and flounce around excitedly. And I think the colors will work for fall as well as summer and spring!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness this is SO ME! I love tea dresses. And conveniently for me, I'm in the right country to buy it with fairly cheap shipping, hooray! I'm glad the skirt isn't a blower upper as that's drives me mad on windy days, nothing worse than showing everyone in public my pants! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS you need all the tea dresses; everyone does, really! It's just such a classic look. And I agree with you -- it's no fun to accidentally flash the world!

      Delete
  5. This is such a stunning red dress, it suits you perfectly! I love the print too, thanks for sharing x

    Kayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just love this shade of red.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful print! You look great and your style is so unique - I feel like it really reflects your open and welcoming personality. Thanks for sharing!

    Rumaanah // https://ruminvte.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much -- I love wearing cheery colors and I do think they help me maintain a better mood than when I'd wear nothing but all black!

      Delete
  7. Ah!!! I love it! And thanks for the heads up that UV carries HofF :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they get more in stock soon, since I'm hooked on the brand now!

      Delete
    2. Ahhh....don't tell me that! lol

      Delete
  8. Love the colours on this dress, they're so vibrant!

    Carla x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wardrobe is just amazing! Your post always surprise me with how much colour and patterns are out there!

    Jessica & James | www.foodandbaker.co.uk / www.foodandbakertravels.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colors make everything more fun! Thank you so much -- it's so fun hunting down new prints!

      Delete
  10. Absolutely love the dress. Everything! The color, the print! So nice! And it fits you so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks a lot! I can't wait till I can fit my belly into this dress again, though it'll be a while since I'm not due till October!

      Delete
  11. I love the dress!! you are pulling it off so well! I really enjoyed reading this post and also your bio on your profile was really nice to read. I followed you on Instagram!

    Sophia xo // sophiaaaxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you so much! I just put the bio up recently so I'm glad it's a decent read! And now we're Insta friends :)!

      Delete
  12. Loving the print; the fifties style really does suit you! I feel the need to look into more dresses like this.. what vintage sites are your favourites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm there are LOADS of British brands I love, but Collectif is probably my favorite. They have really amazing sales and that's when I stock up. A lot of people swear by Lindy Bop but I've found them to be hit or miss. For a splurge, I'm a fan of the Pretty Dress Company. I honestly get a good deal of my dresses off of Facebook swap/sell pages, too!

      Delete
  13. I'm so envious you can pull off this style of dress!
    I'm more of a fan of wiggle dresses as it's easier in my wheelchair, but I love this style too.
    Lovely post!
    Charlotte xx
    https://theporcelaindollblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete