Monday, May 29, 2017

Baby on Board

It's taken a Herculean effort to keep this news off of the internet, but at last, it's time to spill the beans: we are having a baby in October!

zoe vine green velvet dress
I'm currently 21 weeks pregnant, which means I somehow made it more than halfway through this pregnancy without spilling the beans. Miracles do happen, I suppose! But it helped that I was waiting to spread the news until after my parents had told my sister, which only happened this weekend.

We found out about a week ago that we're having a baby girl, and I've already ordered two watermelon-print dresses for her that match ones I have. When the ultrasound tech said it was a girl, I was completely overwhelmed with joy and dissolved into an inarticulate puddle of happy tears almost instantly. I'm pretty sure I would've had the same reaction had she said it was a boy, though. I just can't wait to be a mom!

Jeff and I are both really looking forward to meeting our daughter in a few short months, and I'm trying to get as much sleep as possible while I still can. So far, I've been incredibly lucky: the baby looks healthy, and apart from getting the flu in March and finding the mere notion of eating to be entirely unappealing until about a month ago, I've had a relatively easy time of it, physically at least.

pregnant pinup style

If you follow this blog or my Instagram, though, you might already know that 2017 has been a very difficult year for me and my family. We found out about the baby about a week after we heard that my grandma's cancer had come back and six days before my sister disappeared, so I was absolutely terrified that the stress and emotional turmoil would hurt the baby. When Ronnie was missing and I feared the worst, I kept thinking that the first time I held my baby would make me sad, because I'd be thinking about the first time I held my sister.

I'm not usually a big believer in the idea that things are just meant to be, but in this case, I think this baby was actually meant to come into our family during one of our darkest times. I was so afraid to tell my family until we'd gotten through the first trimester, and once we'd passed that milestone, I was concerned that the timing was just horrendous. How could I share such happy news when everyone was so sad? It felt a little selfish. But I actually ended up telling my aunts, uncles, and cousins about the baby on the day my grandma passed away, mainly because my aunt Cheryl is what an old-fashioned Brit might call a 'nosy parker.' (But I mean this in the most affectionate way possible!)

I had nothing to worry about: my family shares my capacity to feel all the things, and they ended up surprising me with an ice-cream cake that night. Despite the emotional whiplash of that weekend, it was a reminder to me that life's emotional highs and lows aren't always neatly separated, and that I can't let even the bitterest sadness blot out life's joys.

In case anyone was wondering why I've been wearing my Inside Out brooch from Atomic Lucite so often, this is why.

Anyway, our baby has been a beacon of joy and hope for me, and I must confess that I've been thinking about her constantly. Sometimes it's an incredulous 'hey, I'm growing a human being!' thought that crosses my mind while I'm sitting on the L or walking around at work. Other times (more often than I'd like), I'm worried about literally everything you could possibly worry about, because I'm a champion worrier. But my favorite times are when I'm thinking about Jeff holding our baby, or all of the things we'll do with her.


This is going to change our lives in a million different ways, both small and large, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for our growing family!

Follow this blog on:
Instagram@emily.hallock

51 comments:

  1. Oh Emily!!! Congratulations! I am over the moon for you! I think you're absolutely right, things come into our lives just as we need them to, and I've no doubt that this little baby will be an incredible addition to your family! You'll be an amazing mother and I can't wait to see the gorgeous outfits you're going to dress your bubba in πŸ˜‰

    Abbey πŸ’“ www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Abbey! It's been so strange to go from absolutely ecstatic to terrified and worried and back again so many times this year, but I'm hopeful that this little one will help my family heal a little bit.

      (And I bought her ANOTHER watermelon tutu today, haha!)

      Delete
    2. Oh my,Abbey, your comment is so lovely! I absolutely love your whole name, it's glorious! Beat wishes, Emily's mom,Janie (I accidentally signed in as my brother in law!)

      Delete
    3. Oh my,Abbey, your comment is so lovely! I absolutely love your whole name, it's glorious! Beat wishes, Emily's mom,Janie (I accidentally signed in as my brother in law!)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, congratulations! I wish you all the best lovely!
    -Olivia Xxx

    http://oliviaxalesha.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olivia! I'm being so healthy right now that I barely recognize myself ;).

      Delete
  3. This dress is a beautiful shade and really suits you babe. You look stunning! πŸŒΈπŸ’—✨

    With love, Alisha Valerie. x
    www.AlishaValerie.com | www.twitter.com/AlishaValerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I eyed it for ages before finally going for it!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, that is such wonderful news. The watermelon print dresses sound lovely! I'm so sorry that it has been a difficult time for you and your family, but this is wonderful news xxx
    Lois x
    www.lifeasloismay.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to dress her up in a matching outfit and take her everywhere!

      And it's been a real rollercoaster of a year, but thankfully this gives us something to look forward to!

      Delete
  5. Aww congratulations! such a great news! and the start of a new adventure! you look radiant in this green dress! so gorgeous! xx corinne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 thank you, Corinne! I'm really excited to see what the future holds... most likely, there are plenty of mommy and me outfits ;).

      Delete
  6. Oh my God when I saw your post on Instagram I was internally screaming, I'm so happy for you! I hope everything goes well and that your daughter will be born super healthy a few months from now!

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! I've honestly been so touched by everyone's kind words here and on IG, and I'm waiting till I can take the time to sit down and properly reply to everyone on IG and Facebook. It wasn't really something I felt I could do properly while shopping for air conditioners!

      And yes, all I want is for her to be healthy and happy!

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh Emily! Congratulations! I didn't have the slightest inkling that you were expecting - you've kept that hidden very well, and I'm glad you did because it's a very big thing and it's good that you let your family know beforehand. I wish you all the best in your little girl... I'm so happy for you!

    Lizzie Bee // Hello Lizzie Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Lizzie! It helps that I've always had a bit of a potbelly, so nobody ever would've guessed! My parents were so happy, and I'm glad they've finally told my sister. I can't wait to meet this baby!

      Delete
  8. I my god! Congrats eeeeek she's going to be adorable πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet thing to say, Kim! Thank you so much <3!!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! You're absolutely glowing in that gorgeous dress! xx

    Sophia xx http://sophiawhitham.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks so much -- I was just so happy to have my mom out for a visit, and get to show her where I've been living for the past year and a half!

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness look at your bump and your beautiful green dress! I saw your post on Instagram this morning and was so happy for you! :D I imagine your little girl will have as amazing a dress collection as you do. Watermelon print is excellent. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for your kind wishes! I think my husband is dreading the inevitable deluge of baby dresses, but I'm SO excited to buy them!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations to you and your partner! And how amazing to have kept such a big secret for so long! Alice | Dainty Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alice! It helped that I carry my weight in my torso and wear loads of full-skirted dresses, so nobody really suspected ;).

      Delete
  12. Bawww, congratulations!!! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! I'm already impatient to meet this kid!

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness! Congratulations!! That is so exciting and a little girl that you can dress in matching gorgeous dresses in going to be adorable!!
    PaleGirlRambling xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm really excited to pick out all sorts of matching outfits :)! My husband is not quite as excited, but he'll just have to get used to it!

      Delete
  14. Biggest congratulations ever! Such a beautiful post!

    Also, Amber Fillerup Clark (Barefoot Blonde) is legit the queen of matching with her kiddos if you ever need any inspiration!

    Chloe x wanderwomanco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'll have to check out Barefoot Blonde, because I seriously cannot wait to do lots of matching!

      Delete
  15. Congratulations! I'm so pleased for you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydia -- I'm really delighted and counting the days till October!

      Delete
  16. Congratulations to you both and hope your family have a happy future together πŸ˜ŠπŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much -- a happy, healthy life is all I want for my baby <3!

      Delete
  17. OMG CONGRATS! That's so exciting! Kudos to you for keeping the secret for so long. You two are going to look adorable in your little watermelon outfits. (:

    Single Vegas Girl
    http://singlevegasgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :D!! I'm still sort of surprised that I managed to keep my mouth shut all this time. I almost blurted it out when my cousin said he was moving back to Chicago, but realized just in time. It was a struggle!

      Delete
  18. Oh my goodness congratulations! You're glowing xo

    www.rhiannonplans.blogsot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! My hair is growing like a weed, haha!

      Delete
  19. Oh my gosh!!!!!! Congratulations, Emily! This is such exciting news. A baby girl! You will be such amazing parents! (I can't wait to see the watermelon outfits!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lindsey! That vote of confidence means so much <3. I still sort of can't believe this is really happening at last. And I need to find some infant-size watermelon togs, because I don't want to rush her through her babyhood!

      Delete
  20. I'm so excited for you and I can't wait to see photos of your gorgeous little girl! Mommy and me photos will be amazing and I truly cannot wait to see you dressing her up in amazing clothes! I totally hope on day I can pop up there on photograph you both, being sassy together. That could be the highlight of my life lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my dear friend! I'm already getting impatient for her to just be BORN already, and I've still got over four months to go! I can't wait to twin with her, and of COURSE I want you to come up and capture those twinning outfits, because I miss having you here in the Midwest!

      Delete
  21. Many, many congratulations - what a fabulous next episode in your lives. I cannot believe you've organised the watermelon dresses already. And I also cannot believe that you've just done wiggle dress week and we didn't spot it! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations, lady! You are going to be an amazing mother. What an exciting time for you and Jeff! Your daughter is going to be the best dressed little girl, ever!
    I think your baby was definitely meant to come along when she did. She'll be such a light in your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bristol, you are just the sweetest! Thank you for this lovely message -- that vote of confidence means so much! And I can't wait to doll her up in some Rockabilly Baby, haha!

      Delete
  23. YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY! I am so very excited for you and YES, I think it was meant to be. I think your family deserves some good news and excitement to look forward to and this baby IS that happiness. So happy for you all!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sara! I'm really glad that we all have something positive and exciting to think about and look forward to, and I can't wait for my entire family to descend on Chicago!

      Delete
  24. Best news of 2017!!! I'm so excited and thrilled for you. I cant wait to see what you take her home in, I'm sure it will be absolutely sweet as pie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my dear friend! So far, all I've bought for her are watermelon-printed things, lol. But I've still got time!

      Delete
  25. Em, for me, there are no words.But...I'm so grateful that you're part of a community filled with such beautiful, loving friends. Lucky ducky! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Love, Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations!!! This is the second post of yours that I have read and reading this - I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! Excited to see a post when the little one arrives. I wish you all the best

    hayley // hayleyxmartin.com

    ReplyDelete