Monday, May 15, 2017

Dogwood L'amour

If you'd told me two years ago that I'd have more than one blue dress in my closet, I'd've said you were mad. However, it's a bit of a pattern with me to spend ages actively, vocally disparaging something (in this case, one of the primary colors) before unexpectedly embracing it, with no apparent reason for the change of heart. (Other times this has happened: blazers after college, pencil skirts, and that one John Mayer song.) Trashy Diva's Dogwood pattern, though, was easy to fall for., and after an first unsuccessful attempt at this print with the Day Dress, I grabbed a L'amour and fell in amour. (#Sorrynotsorry. I'm genetically predisposed to bad jokes.)

Trashy Diva Dogwood L'amour

While the Day Dress didn't quite suit my figure in the flat rayon (read: it made me look dowdy and busty at the same time), the L'amour has a lovely circle skirt (my favorite!) and comfy shirred  panels on the back. After getting lots of encouragement from the lovely ladies of Desperately Seeking Trashy Diva on Facebook, I decided to give L'amour a go.

Trashy Diva Dogwood L'amour closeup
.02 seconds before I lost my balance.


Verdict: success! Unlike many dresses with an underbust seam, there's actually plenty of room in this dress for my entire bust, and as expected, it's super comfortable. The metal zipper is infinitely easier to zip than the invisible zippers TD usually uses, and makes this one easy to do up on my own. The adjustable straps are a godsend for my shortwaisted, petite self, too! And while it won't be work appropriate unless I wear a high-necked cardigan over it, this is the perfect summertime date-night dress.

Recently I've found myself drawn to floral prints much more, and this is such a perfect one: the size of the print is bold, but the colors are almost muted, which makes it super wearable. My grandparents had a massive dogwood tree in their front lawn, so it also has sentimental value (always a big plus for me!)

Trashy Diva Dogwood L'amour review
Trashy Diva Dogwood L'amour dress review

After wearing this dress out and about, I'm regretting all the L'amours from previous collections that I didn't buy, and hoping for more in future prints. Honestly, though, this happens every time I try a new style from Trashy Diva, so really, I shouldn't be surprised. So now it's your turn to share: what's your favorite style of dress?

Follow this blog on:
Instagram@emily.hallock

8 comments:

  1. Such a colorful dress! And I love how it floats around you when you turn. Perfect for summer... which we unfortunately don't have here in England ahah! xx corinne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This twirling shot was tough to get, because it was SO windy. We usually get about a week or two of spring before the unbearably hot summer weather rolls into Chicago, and it's making me miss LA. I feel your pain over in England! It rained here for two weeks straight recently.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful dress! It fits you like a glove. How awesome that those straps are adjustable too! It also looks like the perfect twirling dress (that third photo down is the best!). I am all about floral prints lately too. I weirdly don't have much blue in my closet either, though. Hmm..

    Hope you're having a great week, Emily!

    ~Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindsey! There are so many attacked-by-wind outtakes from this photoset, and I ended up liking the falling-over photo best of all! Florals are lovely. Something about springtime just makes me love them!

      Delete
  3. Ah! I need this dress too!! LOL
    Let's face it, I need one of everything in every color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trashy Diva is addictive -- once you start, it's hard to stop! This would be such a beautiful print on you!

      Delete
  4. You need this dress in every style ever. It really looks amazing in you! Not that pretty much everything you wear doesn't... because you can probably make a potato sack look good. But I just love this... she said in a non creepy way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are just too kind, Melanie! I hope they make more of this dress in future collections, because it's super comfy and twirlable. I just adore it!

      Delete