Tuesday, August 29, 2017

You Matter.

Today's post is a bit of an anomaly for me. Rather than my usual vintage-inspired outfit/meandering narrative fare, I've decided it's time for a brief PSA. The topic: you, your mental health, and your importance to the people in your life.

So as to not bury the lede, let me start with my key point: no matter who you are, you are vitally important and deserve to feel ok. I don't know who's reading these words right now, but I'm as certain about this as I've ever been about anything in my entire life. No matter what your circumstances in life at this moment, you matter to somebody.



If you're feeling depressed or otherwise struggling with your mental health, you might not be able to see it right now. In fact, the way that depression plays tricks on your brain to make you feel insignificant is one of the most insidious lies it tells you. And when you're feeling like that, it's extra hard to reach out or take steps to get help. It can be physically hard to form the words to describe how you're feeling, much less to speak those words aloud to another person. You might even feel like you don't deserve to take up anyone's time with your feelings.

None of this is true.

Each and every person lives at the gravitational center of someone's universe, be it a family member, a partner, or a friend. There is someone out there who cares deeply about you, even if you can't see it right now. And speaking from experience, those people -- the people who really, truly care about you -- would rather you reach out to them than continue to suffer.

It's no burden to listen. Quite the reverse is true, in fact: the people who truly love you would be happy to help you get to a point where you feel better.

So this is my plea to all of you: don't suffer in silence. Reach out to the people that love you, and keep reaching out till you get what you need. The people who love you might not know how to help at first, but they can certainly figure it out. After all, we live in the age of Google, don't we? You deserve support, even if it's hard to genuinely feel in your heart that you do. Please remember this, and remember that you are loved and worthy of that love.

Follow this blog on:
Instagram@emily.hallock

33 comments:

  1. ❤️❤️❤️
    I don't have many words right now but this was what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad -- all of us need this reminder from time to time <3!

      Delete
  2. Well said and I hope it reaches those who need to know that they are most certainly loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my hope too, my friend. I'll keep saying it over and over and hopefully one of these days it'll work.

      Delete
  3. This this this! This is so important, thank you for coming out of your usual posts to write this!

    Jessica & James | www.foodandbaker.co.uk / www.foodandbakertravels.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 I'm glad it came out alright. The words were bouncing around in my mind for AGES and I felt like I couldn't keep it to myself any longer.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful post! I couldn't agree more with you. x

    Antonia || Sweet Passions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- we all need this reminder from time to time, so I figured I'd put it out there.

      Delete
  5. I feel like these are the words I need to be hearing right now, I'm sure we all feel like this at times but sometimes it's a post like this that we all need,
    Zara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you take these words to heart. It can be hard to recognize the impact we have on the world, but each one of us means a heck of a lot to the people that love them!

      Delete
  6. Such a great post! Thank you for sharing these words x

    Kirsty
    www.corinneandkirsty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear! I hope they help someone.

      Delete
  7. This is so true and necessary. I am so glad you chose to talk about this. It's important and will help someone out there reading. Great post! :)

    Chloe Lauren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 I hope it resonates with someone reading it who really needs the reminder of their worth and importance.

      Delete
  8. This is beautiful and I needed this today. Perspective is everything. This is why I read blogs like yours. Monica @ www.thewongblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Monica, thank you so much! I hope you're feeling just a bit brighter and more secure now <3.

      Delete
  9. I hope, wherever people with Depression or Mental Health issues are across the internet, see this <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my hope as well. So many Mental health conditions trick you into not seeing your worth :(.

      Delete
  10. Such a reassuring post, and so so true. Something I needed to hear recently, too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it came along at a good time for you <3!!

      Delete
  11. This is a post I really needed to read today being in the worst place with depression makes you doubt yourself worth so much, thankyou x

    Kayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear that you've been struggling. Please take these words to heart! And from an American fan of your blog, just know this -- you are doing awesome things all the time!!

      Delete
  12. Such an inspiring post - very honest and genuine and so true!!
    Great Post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's been on my mind a whole lot lately.

      Delete
  13. This is such a lovely post, and definitely something that a lot more people should read! Thank you for sharing xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a massive compliment; thank you! I wish that everyone who needs to hear this could hear it today and take it to heart.

      Delete
  14. This is such a lovely post! It's so important to reach out to others instead of suffering in silence xx

    Ashleigh | http://ashleighwrites.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly -- and I hope people see this and feel a little bit better about reaching out <3.

      Delete
  15. This is such a beautiful post, you'll help a lot of people who read this! Xx

    https://allaboutamy.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm just hoping people see it and accept the message.

      Delete
  16. Such a lovely motivational blog post! 💕

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an important message to share. Too often do people suffer in silence, because they feel like a burden to those around them. It's up to us to tell them that it's okay and we are here for them.

    Ashlynn | The Crimson Cardigan

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a good post, it was just what I needed to read so thank you so much for that! X

    ReplyDelete