Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Help Me, Trashy Diva Obi!

If you think I'm mildly obsessed with Trashy Diva...well, you're not wrong. They have so many amazing prints and such lovely vintage-inspired styles that I really cannot resist! I've reviewed quite a few of the new releases over the past year, but every once in a while, I like to take an older print out for a spin.


When I got my hands on this Tropical Floral Obi dress, I knew I had to come up with a new twist on my usual photo-shoot haunts. Then I discovered that the rooftop of my building has a little deck and bam! Instant lightbulb. (Yes, we've lived here for close to two years. I'm not sure what took me so long! Rooftops are my favorite parts of any apartment building, after all.)

TD Tropical Floral obi

Usually I have a story to tell about each dress, but sometimes, I just want to share something I think is beautiful for no other reason than how much I love it. This dress definitely falls into the latter category. I'd been hoping to snag something in this print for ages, and I did, so I planned an extra-special photo shoot, had lots of fun taking photos, and decided to share all the ones I liked here! Sometimes you just want to share your excitement with the world, y'know?

Being as I'm in the bustier side, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about all the draping at the bust and shoulders of the Obi dress, but I wanted something in this print so much that I wasn't going to get too picky about the style. Happily, I'm actually loving the Obi: the draping means it can accommodate a growing bust, and I managed to grab one that was already altered in the shoulders. This was a fabulous stroke of luck, since I'm short and lazy, so I hardly ever bother getting things altered when I need to.

You wouldn't believe how many baby-bump photos I now have on my phone.

Honestly, I think the dress speaks for itself: it's bright, flutters in the wind in a way that makes me feel like I'm starring in a very glamorous movie, and the gathering at the shoulders is just so unique! The print is gloriously saturated and so vibrant, which just confirms that Trashy Diva needs to do more tropical/Hawaiian prints. (Preferably in their amazing stretch rayon!) If I can't find my orchid hair clip, I'll need to pick up a hibiscus hair flower to wear with this dress, and perhaps some cute cork wedges for when my center of gravity returns to its normal, non-pregnant location.


I'm hoping my baby bump doesn't grow too much before the next Trashy Diva meetup in Chicago, so I can wear this dress around people who'll understand my excitement! What's your favorite type of floral print?

Follow this blog on:
Instagram@emily.hallock

12 comments:

  1. As always, you look lovely, Emily! I really like how the dress rests on the shoulders, it's super flattering! The colours are gorgeous, very bright and perfect for summer sunshine! Cork wedges would indeed be a gorgeous complement to this dress when you're able to wear them again! You are just glowing throughout your pregnancy and it's lovely to see that you're still rocking your signature looks!

    Abbey 💞 www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Abbey! I'm such a fan of purple right now, and it's a crying shame that there's so little of it in my wardrobe! I keep joking to my husband that I'm finally on-trend now that I'm pregnant, because I have to push the waist of my dresses up above my bump and it gives the dress a high-low hem. (He doesn't get it, haha).

      Delete
  2. Honestly adore all your dresses and how you've managed to keep all your style with your pregnancy!

    Jessica & James | www.foodandbaker.co.uk / www.foodandbakertravels.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have a feeling I'm going to have to cave and get more actual maternity stuff soon, though...

      Delete
  3. I love your dress. it fits you so well. I wish I look that good when I am pregnant (if it ever happens). xx corinne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 thank you, Corinne! I bet you'll be absolutely gorgeous and glowing with happiness if you ever decide to get pregnant!

      Delete
  4. You look absolutely stunning, that print is amazing!! You are absolutely glowing!
    Hels xx
    www.thehelsproject.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just love a good tropical print. It livens up things in the Midwest!

      Delete
  5. I love how colorful the dress is, it’s the perfect dress for summer! Rooftops! I feel like everyone has at least one photo of themselves on a rooftop on Instagram haha I love the handbag you paired it with too - the darker purple from the dress and the light purple bag look so nicely put together. Love your fashion sense, you look amazing!

    -Sahara
    http://saharas-dreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to put one of these rooftop photos on Insta for sure -- thanks for the reminder! And I'm so glad you think the bag works with this dress. I wasn't 100% sure myself, but decided to just roll with it. That purse is one of my faves and I'll take any excuse to use it!

      Delete
  6. I LOOOOVE this on you! You are the cutest preggo <3

    I love florals...period. That is all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florals love you right back, Evie!! Though you look good in everything, so there's that!

      Thank you, my friend <3! I'm trying so hard to not give in to maternity-wear!

      Delete