Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Review: Lady V London Jasmine Dress

The British retro-reproduction clothing world is on fire lately. Between the Pretty Dress Company, the House of Foxy, and Collectif, I've given the Royal Mail and Fedex quite a workout in the past several months! I'm finally starting to get over my distaste for international shipping and its attendant cost, and after seeing some of my fave Insta pals looking amazing in their Lady V London dresses for ages, I decided to take the plunge. And if today's review of the Jasmine dress is a bit late, well: better late than never!

Lady V London mustard and purple rose Jasmine dress

Lady V offers a ridiculously large selection of vintage-inspired dresses on their site, which is making it quite hard to focus on writing this review instead of adding a ridiculous quantity of things to my cart. I'm especially swoony over all their floral prints, as that's a recent print obsession of mine. And after seeing this lovely mustard and purple print in a different, discontinued style on my friend Caz, I knew exactly what my first purchase from them would be. Happily, the print was rereleased in a slightly different style, and I snapped one up before it sold out.

The Jasmine is a classic scoopneck swing dress with wide straps and what looks to be a 3/4 circle skirt, which obviously means it's my dream style. It's made of a nice midweight stretch cotton that drapes and moves well and doesn't wrinkle much even after a full day of sitting at my desk. It's full enough for a tea-length petticoat, as you can see from these photos, but also looks cute without one, which is convenient in the dead of August!

Lady V London mustard Jasmine dress

I'd heard that this style runs a bit bigger than the size chart, and found this to be the case. Since I was pregnant when I ordered this dress and knew that I'd only be getting bigger, I opted to size up rather than risk heartbreak. My UK 14 measures 20.5" from armpit to armpit and 16.5" at the waist, meaning it's a couple of inches larger than the size chart. It also has stretch, so take that into account if you order this style! If you're petite or shortwaisted, be aware that the straps are a bit long on me (#shortgirlproblems), but I think if I'd gone for the UK 12 they'd be a perfect fit.

Lady V London Jasmine dress
Lady V London purple rose on mustard Jasmine dress

This dress has been in heavy rotation since I got it, and at 7+ months pregnant, it's still comfy and makes me feel super cute! International delivery came to about $13, which was quite reasonable, and all of their dresses are a bargain compared to what you'd pay for a dress from Pinup Girl Clothing. I'm especially impressed with their price point and quality because their dresses are made right in the UK. Whenever possible, I prefer to support brands that manufacture close to their intended market, in places with strict minimum wage/labor laws, so it's nice to find one more excellent retro-reproduction option that doesn't set off my ethical alarm bells.


I'm looking forward to picking up more dresses from Lady V once I know what size I'll be after the baby, particularly since their dresses are all made in the UK! Have you ever tried their dresses?

Follow this blog on:
Instagram@emily.hallock

21 comments:

  1. Can't get enough retro clothing. love this!!!! NEED! Xxx

    quitefranklii.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress so much, the colours are great. I totally love your style as well.

    http://ohduckydarling.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always show the most beautiful dresses on your blog and this is no exception, thanks for sharing about the sizing too X

    Kayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous dress, definitely worth getting over your distaste of international shipping! I need to check out this website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this look! It's so retro! I'll have to check them out!

    -GG
    www.girlingamba.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the print of this dress, that shade of mustard looks great! x
    www.misszarabelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress ! This color is so cute !
    Have a great day !
    xox
    www.thecrispylipstick.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dress suits you SO much! It's so pretty <3 I don't think I could pull off something like this at all. For one, I'm too short! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how much this dress suits you. It's so bright and bold perfect for summer. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. So in LOVE with this super cute dress. The print is just amazing! <3

    xo
    Leigh
    www.pinkvintageheart.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never tried their dresses! But now I want to! That dress is SO pretty. You look stunning, Emily. Such a perfect dress for summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dress is so cute! Is it the same fabric that was used for the Birdie dress from PUG? It looks awfully familiar! I'll definitely need to check out Lady V :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an adorable dress! It looks beautiful on you! <3

    http://thenavigatio.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a lovely dress, I love the colours!
    Jen, Velvet Spring x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dress is just the cutest?! And you look so damn adorable!! x
    Lauraconteur ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're introducing me to so many UK based brands that I didn't even know about! This dress is just beautiful, seriously you have such good taste hehe. I think I need you as my personal shopper. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never knew those colours would look so good together, but you look amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this site with me... My friend LOVES vintage dresses, and it helps that they're based in the UK too.

    Lizzie Bee // Hello Lizzie Bee

    ReplyDelete
  18. retro has never really been my style (i practically live in greys and blacks!) but this looks GORGEOUS on you! i love this colour, even though i'd never wear it.

    killin' it giiiirl ♥

    katie xx lacoconoire.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that dress! Especially its bold prints :) Very lovely.

    xx Alyssa // STYLE VANITY

    ReplyDelete