Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Witching Hour

October certainly has been a red-letter month for hanging out with blogger friends in real life. Last weekend, I was fortunate enough to spend some time with two of the most awesome petite bloggers in Chicago: Devinne of Mox and Socks, and Mariam of the Petite Bijou, and let me tell you, these ladies are awesome!

We settled on a Halloween-appropriate plan of head-to-toe black and met up at a gorgeous mansion on the North Side for a witches' brew of photography, hi-jinks, and accidental wedding-picture photobombing. (Imagine our surprise when a bridal party arrived to do their portraits at 11am on a Sunday! Definitely not something anyone would have foreseen.) Devinne brought her trusty pumpkin for an extra jolt of Halloween goodness, Mariam wore the most to-die-for boots I've ever seen, and I tried very hard not to grin like a doofus and ruin every shot.
Success! I call this face 'American Gothic'
Those trees reflected in the windows though…
(Photo: Devinne)
Annnnd there's that goofy face of mine!

Given that I wore nothing but black for almost a decade, it was surprisingly hard to settle on the outfit I ended up wearing! I didn't want to wear my usual full skirt and petticoat, since I didn't want my new pals to have to worry about being crowded by all the floof, so I went with the sort of outfit I would have worn in my former life as a professor. Fitted black above-the-knee dress, patterned tights, a wool blazer to keep my hands from freezing off, and a scarf for good measure, and I was good to go.
Photo: Devinne
Photo: Devinne

I also chose my favorite knee-high boots and my black glasses (because I take themes very seriously!), as well as one of my favorite purses in the world. I got this years ago at Ross Dress For Less in LA and my sister Ronnie loves it. I keep trying to convince myself to give it to her, since she always gushes over it, but thus far, I've been unsuccessful. (Leave me a comment and help me do the right thing, friends!)

frye melissa tall lace
This might be my new favorite photo in the world, courtesy of Devinne.
Boots: Frye
Purse: Betsey Johnson, old
Dress: Calvin Klein, old
Blazer: Uniqlo, old


Mariam has being photographed down to an art form!

We had an absolutely fantastic time chatting about style, photoshoots, life, and how to deal when you're the most excited person in the room. It was such a treat to be around two fabulous women who enjoy style and blogging as much as me, and aren't afraid to express their enthusiasm for the things they love! I even got to take a couple of photos of Devinne with her camera, which was super exciting because I've actually never used a DSLR before.

Baby's first DSLR shot! Doesn't she look amazing in this dress?
Hello, sailor!
Photo: Devinne
Stealth mode.

If you haven't checked out Mox and Socks or the Petite Bijou yet, you're in for a treat! Drop by their blogs and say hi, but be warned: they might knock your socks right off!

The author always reverts to her natural state.

If you're a Chicagoland blogger and want to get together, drop me a line!

Follow this blog on:
Instagram@emily.hallock

20 comments:

  1. THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN!! I was seriously grinning like an idiot while I was looking at these pics again. You two are such friendly, fun, stylish ladies, and I really hope we can do this again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a blast -- thank you for including me in this shoot, and I cannot WAIT until the next one! You two are awesome and I'm looking forward to reading your post!

      Delete
  2. These are so insanely awesome! Emily your outfit is amazing!! Those boots!! Oh this makes me long to photograph something delightfully spooky again! Great job to all three of you! Absolutely fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I wish you were still up in the Midwest, so we could hang out and do fun photoshoots together! Can you tell which ones were shot on an iPhone versus a DSLR? I hope you find some photo clients near your new home…they'll be blown away by your talent!

      Delete
  3. Oh my word - how FUN! I died at the last couple shots of you ladies, especially the one in the bushes!!! COME ON! So cute and so fun and so sassy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shot from the bushes definitely made me think of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire…thankfully, no sphinxes or Portkeys appeared! Wish you lived nearby so we could get together too <3!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh these photos are TOO CUTE! I am so jealous you all live in Chicago! It looks like so much fun!

    Lee - leethrifts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Chicago is a pretty nifty city, and you really can't beat the food. Meeting blogger friends IRL is so exciting!

      Delete
  5. Looks like so much fun! That's hilarious about photobombing the wedding pics. I can just imagine you ladies dressed all in black creeping in the background ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really great day! I didn't even realize that we were photobombing until Devinne pointed out the wedding photographer and the happy couple…oops?

      Delete
  6. You all look stunning! I love your outfits here <3 Must have been such a fun time xx

    sophieannetaylor.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much -- that's so sweet of you! We really had a blast, so much so that we're already planning our next adventure!

      Delete
  7. Can I say NAILED IT 10,000x??? lol I love it. Looks like a fun shoot!

    KeepingupwithMJ.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah you guys look so nice! Especially since you're all dressed like a squad! It seems like you had lots of fun with your friends :D and a photo bombing a wedding! I wish I had friends who were bloggers xD but seeing other bloggers have fun together makes me happy too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We went all-in on the Halloween outfit theme. I couldn't believe there was a wedding party doing portraits on a Sunday morning! Are there any bloggers you know of in your area?

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you! We had a total blast! These boots are one of my all-time favorite pairs.

      Delete
  10. Awww this was such a happy positive post to read! Sounds like you all had the best time. Your outfits are amazing and I love the photos, it must be very exciting being friends with other bloggers!
    Becky Shannon xx - Life-by-Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We really had a tremendous amount of fun taking these photos. I'm so happy to have finally made some blogger friends!

      Delete