Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Lake and Columbus (I was cutting off all my hair)

After the last time I donated my hair, I wasn't sure I'd ever do it again. It was what you might call a slightly traumatic experience, for those of us whose problems mainly fall into the 'first-world' category. It was about three years ago now, but I still remember the particular indignity of sitting in my car sobbing in the garage at LMU before dragging myself to teach my afternoon classes.

Look, it's Jenny!

It's safe to say that I'm not a fan of getting my hair cut, so much so that it's been about ten months since my last trim.

But that said, I also tend to make large decisions impulsively. (Example: when trying to decide where to go to grad school, I told my undergrad advisor about my campus visits to my top three choices. When I finished recounting my trip, he was quiet for a moment and then said "looks like you're going to UCLA." I thought it over for about 30 seconds, said "yeah, I guess," and emailed them later that day to accept their offer of admission.)

You can probably see where I'm heading with this story. (Hint: it involves semi-impulsively deciding to do something I spent three years thinking I wouldn't do. What can I say? Changing a long-held view is sort of a habit of mine!)


You see, I had A Decision to make. Since I waited a ridiculous amount of time between haircuts, my hair got ridiculously long, so I knew I'd be cutting off at least five inches. I also knew that if I cut off just a little bit more than what I envisioned, I'd be able to donate it. What's more, I'd be able to donate a massive amount of hair, since (like most women) I haven't been losing any hair for the duration of this pregnancy!

I spent more time than usual thinking this over, and debating the various pros and cons of chopping off a significant amount of my hair. Much as I don't like how I look with short hair, I'll admit that the idea of caring for shorter hair whilst adjusting to motherhood was appealing. And given how much I hate to clean, it seemed like a good idea to cut my hair before it starts falling out postpartum. 50% less hair means 50% fewer hair-tumbleweeds underfoot!

"It looks like a makeup brush!" - Jenny

But still, I wasn't sure what I'd do until the night before my appointment. After asking Jeff what he thought I should do over and over, I actually got a tape measure and made him show me how much hair I'd still have if I cut off eight and a half inches (e.g. slightly more than the minimum required by Pantene Beautiful Lengths).

Here's what it boiled down to: I had to decide whether to donate five inches of hair to the trash and get the style I really wanted, or to cut off about nine inches, donate it to an organization that makes wigs for people with hair loss, and impatiently wait for my hair to grow back to a point I'm happy with.

Well, when I put it that way, I'm not sure why it was such a hard decision after all.


Would you ever consider donating your hair?

Follow this blog on:
Instagram@emily.hallock

15 comments:

  1. I love it, you look great!
    Lottie x
    wearsomethingblack.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new haircut!! There is still plenty of length to do things with it, and you got to help towards creating a wig for someone in need :-) It's a win-win situation in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! Your hair and baby belly are BEAUTIFUL!!

    I would donate my hair...but I never get it long enough to the point where I can cut off 9 inches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new hair looks beautiful! I'd donate my hair if it ever got long enough again.
    Amy xx
    www.goldenbooksgirl.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair looks lovely!! I would love to donate my hair! I'm just waiting for it to grow out a bit more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hair looks SO nice and healthy short. It really, really suits you (: And it's great you've donated and done something good at the same time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omgosh! First of all, congrats for making this step to donate your hair! As women, we underestimate how much attachment we have to our hair so donating it for a worthy causes shows such strength & determination. I'm really proud of you! Work it! You're looking so beaut with your maternity wear! So excited to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All that worry... Your new style looks really fabulous! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that it is an incredible thing to donate your hair to charities and I take my hat off to you! I wish that I was able to donate mine as it is long enough but unfortunately they will not accept my hair due to it being bleached/dyed.

    Abigail | chasingmydesire.com

    p.s. your new hair looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your long hair but you suit this so much! And all for a worthy and rewarding cause! You are blooming and look absolutely gorgeous! Also loved the 'it looks like a make up brush' comment ha ha!! <3

    Charlene McElhinney
    www.charlenemcelhinney.co.uk
    (@blogabtnothing1)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emily! I love the haircut! It is so gorgeous on you! Also, it's so incredibly nice to donate your hair for a good cause so definitely hats off to you!

    -GG
    www.girlingamba.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG this suits you so much!! I’ve never donated my hair but my sister has and it’s for such a lovely cause! But ahhhh love your hair!

    Jessica & James | www.foodandbaker.co.uk / www.foodandbakertravels.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to have a pixie cut, so if I ever decided to cut my hair off again, I would donate my hair this time. It is such a great cause. Your hair looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that length on You, it really looks amazing. My little girl cut off 15" of hair for charity last year, she raises £118 for make a wish & donated the hair to the little princess foundation who make wigs for children with hair loss due to illness and chemo treatment. Such an amazing thing to do. Well done. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look lovely!
    I'd love to donate my hair, but it's not really in great condition.

    http://www.thiswayandthatway.com

    ReplyDelete