Sunday, October 23, 2016

Orange You Happy?

The title of this post may be silly, but... well, I've never been able to resist a pun. It's less than ten days until Halloween, and I'm ready to fully embrace all things spooky, orange-and-black, and pumpkin-flavored. (Except for the Pumpkin Spice Latte. If I'm going to spend over $3 on a non-alcoholic beverage, it had better involve matcha!)

The orange-border Jenny skirt from Pinup Girl is one of my all-time favorite skirts. Wearing it reminds me of one of my favorite albums ever, which in turn reminds me of the day I got that album (e.g. the Best Day Ever!) I've been on the hunt for an orange top in just the right shade to match this skirt, and when PUG released the orange peasant top, I crossed my fingers and clicked 'check out.' I had high hopes that it would not only be a perfect match, but that the new peasant-top design would fit my bust better. Happily, it was a resounding success on both counts!


I realize that fruit isn't a traditional Halloween motif, but I figured that the sheer orange-ness of this outfit made it seasonally appropriate. If nothing else, it's a subtle nod to my beloved Pumpkin King, if a brightly-colored outfit involving mountains of petticoat that inspires nonstop twirling can be considered subtle. Honestly, the only thing that's kept me from watching Nightmare Before Christmas already is the knowledge that singing along will utterly torment Jeff. Note: this doesn't mean that I won't sing along. It just means that I'll make sure he's in an especially tolerant mood before popping the movie in.

Nothing makes me happier than a voluminous skirt. (Well, maybe Star Wars.)
Ten years of ballet means that I always point my toes.

Since this is a special skirt, I decided to expand my horizons a bit and try something different with my hair. I saw a tutorial for a braided headband for growing out bangs over on Mox and Socks last week, and even though I don't have bangs, I really, really wanted to make it work for me. Three false starts (of one kind or another) later, I had wrangled my hair into a passable facsimile of Devinne's style, and I absolutely love it! The braid was perfect for keeping my hair out of my face (and crucially, away from my lipstick!) even when the Chicago winds picked up midway through my photoshoot. This is definitely a style I'll be using for work, and now I'm even more inspired to tackle the braided crown!

What are your favorite Halloween-inspired looks?

Follow this blog on:
Instagram@emily.hallock

4 comments:

  1. This outfit is seriously perfect and the top really IS a perfect match! I am so glad it worked out so well. You're totally rockin' this look - maybe even more so than Gwen ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are just too kind! I'm absolutely obsessed with this skirt… my next project is finding orange tights to match, so I can wear it all winter long!

      Delete
  2. Love this look Emily! So perfect with that orange peasant top in both color and cut! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm absolutely in love with the redesigned peasant top!

      Delete