Saturday, January 7, 2017

Review: My First Pretty Dress Company Frock

For my first review of 2017, I've chosen one of my Black Friday faves: the Cara wiggle dress from the Pretty Dress Company. I saw this dress on my friend Ani and absolutely fell in love, but even with her encouragement, I just didn't feel ready to take the plunge on a wiggle from the Pretty Dress Company, rather than a swing. Their dresses are a bit of an investment, after all, and I'm usually more of a swing-dress gal. Happily, two things conspired to change my mind: a very nice sale at Unique Vintage, and a super-successful #WiggleWeek, which has forever converted me to a wiggle fan.

pretty dress company cara wiggle
After consulting the size charts on Unique Vintage and TPDC's own site, I went with the UK 14, which was the right call for my 39.5"-31"post-holiday frame. It flat-measures 19" from armpit to armpit, 15" at the waist, and 18.5" at the hips, and is 44" long. I'm honestly a little perplexed by the hip measurement, since my hips measure roughly 39-40" and it fits comfortably, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. There's a tiny bit of stretch to the fabric, so perhaps that's why.

Overall, I'm madly in love with this dress! It fits like a dream, is very well-made (and *lined!* woohoo!), and the print is just as stunning as I expected. Even though the bust seam doesn't *quite* fall under my bust without looking ludicrously scandalous, it still looks good and doesn't dig into my bust in the slightest, so I think this style works well even if you're bustier. I'm also not wearing any shapewear, and while this is a fairly fitted dress, the thick material and lining are sturdy enough to ensure that the casual onlooker isn't able to tell at a glance that I ate a giant lunch before this photoshoot.

Spot the holiday food baby!
pretty dress company cara sorrento

My one issue is the zipper, which is an absolute devil to do up even though the dress fits well. When will clothing companies realize the folly of invisible zippers and go back to the tried-and-true metal zip? In the grand scheme of things, though, I can deal with a tricky zipper, though I'll update you if ever I get stuck and need to be cut out of it!

With the right cardigan to contain the little bit of décolletage that always seems to happen if I wear anything lower than a crewneck, this will be a perfect dress for work. I'm looking forward to wearing it with flats and bare legs in the spring, though for now I'll have to dig out my tan knee-high boots to survive my commute.

pretty dress company Cara sorrento wiggle
I have a feeling this Banned cardigan will be my go-to with this dress.
pretty dress company wiggle review
pretty dress company wiggle sorrento review

After wearing this dress, I finally understand what all the Pretty Dress Company hype is about. These dresses are gorgeous, sturdy, and unlike anything else I've seen on the vintage-reproduction market, and now I want to fill my closet with all of their gorgeous florals!

Follow this blog on:
Instagram@emily.hallock

31 comments:

  1. I love how confident and happy you look in these photos. Although it's not the sort of dress or colour combo I would normally gravitate towards in a shop, I think it works so well with your hair! xx

    Kyia at WANDERLUSTGIRL// Lifestyle & Beauty
    Let’s be BLOGLOVIN friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's only recently that I've felt confident wearing a form-fitting dress, so I'm still super excited when I find one I like! I'm not usually one for pastel pinks, but this print really caught my eye.

      Delete
  2. Soso pretty, I adore the print and the boots are so beautiful! I really want to check out this company, it sounds right up my street :D adore your style! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara
    (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I've had these boots for ages and just haven't had occasion to wear them here in Chicago, since I'm so lazy about even the tiniest heel. Definitely check out the Pretty Dress Company -- everything they make lives up to the name!

      Delete
  3. What a cute dress! I'm glad you didn't wait for spring to show it off! It looks like it was made for you. I love the print, and it goes so nicely with your cardigan. Now if it could just get warmer and I can see how you style it for next season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Devinne!! I really like this print, and the dress is super comfortable even though it's actually tailored. And since it's going to be a balmy 30-40 degrees this week, maybe I'll be able to get a little more creative with outfits than 'tights/leggings, tall boots, long legwarmers.'

      Delete
  4. I love your confidence in all your pictures! Your style is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I try to have fun with my clothes, and when I like something, it totally shows on my face!

      Delete
  5. This dress is amazing and it looks amazing on you. I love what you pared it with! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much <3! I had to go with a green cardigan, since it's my favorite color.

      Delete
  6. You look lovely! This dress will be a perfect work dress for spring. I really like it with the cardigan. I've never heard of this dress company, so I'm going to look into it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Spring can't come soon enough, especially with the subzero wind chills last week. These dresses are absolutely gorgeous, and I *maaaaay* have already ordered another one ;).

      Delete
  7. This dress is so lovely and you look great in it! I'd never be able to pull it off!

    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much <3! And honestly, I felt like I couldn't pull dresses like this one off until about three or four months ago. Then I decided 'meh, to hell with this, I'll just not think about VBO' and here we are. Moral of the story: if I can do it, you can do it!

      Delete
  8. That dress is totally something I would wear to work! :D

    S .x ramblingsofayoungprgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a lovely work-friendly print? I usually wear rather loud prints, so this will be a nice change of pace for me!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! I love vintage dresses - it suits your body perfectly xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm a huge fan of the longer length and pretty print.

      Delete
  10. Guuuurl you look fabulous! I love how you coordinated it with the green jumper, it matches the dress so well!

    Lizzie Bee // hellolizziebee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! It was a nice surprise that the two greens are pretty much the same, since I really love this cardigan.

      Delete
  11. Such a cute dress!! You look so beautiful and happy in these pictures 💖 - www.teaisawishyourheartmakes.wordpress.com 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Putting on pretty dresses always brings a smile to my face... but you should see the video from this shoot ;). It's a wee bit silly!

      Delete
  12. I definitely want to invest in a wiggle dress or skirt this year - one that I feel confident in! It's such a sexy outline! I will have to keep my eye's out for a sale - you got so lucky with this one - and it looks gorgeous! Stephie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Definitely get yourself a wiggle -- they're great, and a massive aid to body confidence! I'll be on the lookout for more sales, since I want to buy All the Things from this company. Good luck on your wiggle search <3!

      Delete
  13. This frock looks sooo lovely on you and I love how confident you look in it. I definitely need to check this dress out because I do need a good dress.

    mchi | mchiouji — http://blog.mchiouji.me
    ・ω・

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's such a nice change of pace to put on a dress and feel good about myself -- it took a long time, but now that I feel more confident, I'm determined to keep on moving forward!

      Delete
  14. Love this dress on you and love it with the Banned cardigan! It's so great hearing your review on the Pretty Dress Company. There's a dress on the UV website that I am in love with but couldn't figure out why it was priced so high... sounds like there's quite a bit of quality in these dresses! <3 Love wiggles on you and love that you did wiggle week! You totally encouraged me to get some of my own wiggles out <3 http://silvercatteaparty.blogspot.com/2016/12/outfit-of-day-from-thanksgiving-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. very nice a floral print dress and a green cardigan really going well ...really like your collection as haven't thought of going shoes with that floral one piece ...
    Ladies Tops

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice Wiggle dress and love your styling too. Your boots and jacket is awesome.

    Indo Western Outfits

    ReplyDelete